With an adventurous life that is now over 100 years old, the “Phoenix” theater is still a landmark of the city today.
The “Phoenix” theater was completed in the summer of 1895. Built on the edge of the Venetian “Raymond” bastion, in the 16th century, destroyed during the British occupation, it became an ideal place to develop the original project of a summer and winter theater.
Since 1998 it belongs “by use”, to the Municipal Regional Theater of Corfu. It reopened as a theater at Christmas 1999, with the play “The Snowman and the Girl” by Eugenios Trivizas and “Moliere” by Goldoni.
Since December 2006, Finikas ‘Phoenix’ has not been used any more as a theater, while waiting for restoration works.